Runtime not installing or Side by Side configuration error message
This error appears when the programmer is first run after installation. A Windows error appears with text that include a reference to a "side by side" error. This error is results from the runtime files not being installed properly from the CD.
Method 1: Reboot the computer.
- Why this might work: The computer has the files busy with something else. The reboot releases the files and makes them available for the programmer to acknowledge them.
Method 2: Run installation again from the CD.
- This is an over-install. Do NOT uninstall. The files are on the CD and do install normally. Let's assume that the system was "busy" the first time and this second installation will be successful.... it can't hurt and it may make the correction with the least amount of effort. Try running the program again once installation is complete.
Method 3: Install the runtime files manually from the Internet.
- The files to install are found by clicking on this link.Once you complete the installation. Try the programmer again.
Method 4: Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer (This is an extreme case. It is documented here to keep track of the information. Hopefully it won't be needed again!!)
- Click Start, click Run, type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.
- Click Start, click Run, type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs, or you may briefly see an hourglass. After you run this command, the operation is complete.
- Try your Windows Installer-based application again (in this case the vcredist_x86.exe)