If you are purchasing a two way radio that operates using GMRS frequencies and plan to use it within the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires that you register for a GMRS license.

Which radios require an FCC license?
Thanks to some FCC rule changes, the radios that are commonly called "consumer radios" are divided into two different services: FRS and GMRS. Most "consumer radios" are FRS and do not require a license. GMRS allows higher power and more features and requires that you purchase an FCC GMRS license.

Why do I need an FCC license?
In the United States, the FCC regulates the frequencies that are used by devices like two way radios. The FCC requires that anyone operating a device on the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) obtain a license prior to use.

How do I apply for a GMRS FCC license?
A GMRS license requires that you complete FCC form 159 and form 605. These forms can be found on the FCC forms page.

You can also apply for a GMRS license online at the FCC Universal License System (ULS) web site.

Is there a charge for a GMRS license?
Yes. The FCC currently charges a $70.00 fee for GMRS licenses. Some applications, such as government entities, are exempt from this fee. A license is valid for ten years.

Do I have to get a license before I can buy a two way radio?
No. There is no license required to own a radio. The requirement takes effect when you use the radio. 

Do you report to the FCC that I purchased a GMRS radio?
No. We are in no way affiliated with the FCC, or the GMRS licensing process. Your information will never be shared with any third party (outside of the ordering process) unless we are ever required to do so by law or to be in compliance with a court order.

Do I have to get a license if I live outside of the United States?
You only need an FCC GMRS license if you are using the GMRS frequencies within the United States. So, even if you live outside the US, if you plan to transmit on the GMRS frequencies within the US, you are required to have a license. 

I need a radio, but I don't want to pay for a license. What can I do?
Use the FRS frequencies. FRS radios share many frequencies with GMRS radios, but do not require a license. FRS is limited to two watts of power, which is adequate for most common uses!  You can see in the chart that several frequencies are shared by the two services. Be sure you use one of these if you are not licensed and keep your power at 2 watts (generally low power on a radio).